If you could choose any time period to live in, what would it be?

The answer of to this question has to be the 60’s and 70’s…I would’ve soooo been a hippie!  LOL  “Peace, Love, and Happiness” sounds like a good mantra to me!

If you could choose any time period to live in, what would it be? I’m a huge fan of classical music like Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, The Steve Miller Band, and the list goes on and on.  Some of the greatest music came out of this era.  I would have given anything to have been at the original Woodstock.  How unbelievably cool would that have been?!?  Both of my parents grew up during this time and it was a complete waste on them.  LOL  My dad likes horrific music that I can only equate to elevator music and my mom isn’t much better.  Give her Celine Dion, Josh Groban, and Barbara Streisand any day.  I can’t imagine growing up during this time period and not taking away a love of great classical music!  I grew up in the 80’s and I still love the music from back then and listen to it all the time.  Neither of my parents listen to anything that dates back to the 60’s and the 70’s.  Oh and don’t get me started on my in-laws…  They still love the bluegrass country music they grew up on back in the day.  At least my mother-in-law also loves modern country, but my father-in-law refuses to listen to anything but bluegrass.  I honestly feel this era was wasted on all of them.  LOL  I’m a huge fan of classical music like Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, The Steve Miller Band, and the list goes on and on.  Some of the greatest music came out of this era.  I would have given anything to have been at the original Woodstock.  How unbelievably cool would that have been?!?  Both of my parents grew up during this time and it was a complete waste on them.  LOL  My dad likes horrific music that I can only equate to elevator music and my mom isn’t much better.  Give her Celine Dion, Josh Groban, and Barbara Streisand any day.  I can’t imagine growing up during this time period and not taking away a love of great classical music!  I grew up in the 80’s and I still love the music from back then and listen to it all the time.  Neither of my parents listen to anything that dates back to the 60’s and the 70’s.  Oh and don’t get me started on my in-laws…  They still love the bluegrass country music they grew up on back in the day.  At least my mother-in-law also loves modern country, but my father-in-law refuses to listen to anything but bluegrass.  I honestly feel this era was wasted on all of them.  LOL  If you could choose any time period to live in, what would it be?

Music may be a huge part of why I’d love to grow up on the 60’s and the 70’s, but it’s not the only reason.  I actually really loved the styles back then.  LOL  I know I sound crazy, but the free flowing dresses that a lot of the girls wore or the cute bell bottom jeans?  How about the cute dresses with the go-go boots? Sign me up!  I mean come on…how cute is that outfit in the picture to the right?!?  Love it!  Plus, everything was so colorful and cheerful back then.

Last but not least during this era, especially if you were a hippie, everything was all about having a good time.  I know what they were doing turned out to be illegal and bad for you, but the concept should still apply.  Now-a-days we are all so wound up tight and stressed out.  Everything is “go, go go” and it seems like we never have any time to relax and have some fun.  Maybe it’s time we take a page out of their book and “chill out” a bit. LOL  Maybe the world would be a happier, less stressed out place.  I have no statistical evidence to back this up, so chalk this up as pure irresponsible speculation, but I’m willing to be a lot less people had blood pressure issues, heart attacks, etc. back then.

So how about all of you?  If you could live during a specific time period what would it be?  Would you go back to the Victorian era?  When dinosaurs roamed the Earth?  Please tell me all about it in the comments below!

the color of drums in the wind singleton hippie art 001 If you could choose any time period to live in, what would it be?

This post was written as part of The Blog Dare on Bloggy Moms.

lpsignature If you could choose any time period to live in, what would it be?

Comments

1. I was a real hippie and that music is the reason I am a Blip.fm DJ with over 20,000 followers! I was too young to go to Woodstock but still love the music!

Top Social Giveaways

• lisa pollard says:

Good taste in music…just another reason why I like you! ;) What's Blip.fm?!? Sounds interesting!

Lisa

2. This is a tough question. I think I might want to be a flapper in the Roaring 1920's. Thanks for voting and linking up on Battle of the Leading Men!
    Cheers,
    Courtney http://www.mommyladyclub.com

3. If Li'l D were asked, he'd say, "Dinosaur!" This might be taken as a sign that he actually wanted to live in those times, but I hope not. They're actually just a reflection of how much he likes the word. ;)

I love your answer. I think about this question frequently, actually, and always come back to being happy living here, now. If the question were, "When would you choose to live, for a day?" my answer might be a little different!

• lisa pollard says:

LOL I saw a t-shirt that Li'L D would just LOVE! It has a blue dinosaur on it that says "Dinosaurs are cool". Too cute!

4. I was born in 1962 & I loved growing up in that era with that great music, but I think I would like to have lived in the 50's with the poodle skirts & bobby socks, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.

Stopping by from VoiceBoks!

5. tom brodeur says:

Well, you know me with music, I have such a varied style and I don't know many that appreciate what I like. At least you were exposed to that variety and like it or not I think it had it's influence on you. Some of it you seem to like yourself. As far as your question when would you live, I would pick some time in the future. It is hard to pick a date but I know advancements are always on the horizon that I think it would be fascinating to go forward in time.

• lisa pollard says:

Most don't appreciate what you like cuz it's really bad! ;) I'll admit a song or two of your less "elevator-y" stuff was good, but for the most part, no thanks! :P It's okay though, I still love you! LOL I actually thought about going forward in time too, but I don't like the uncertainty.

• tom brodeur says:

Really bad or different? I agree it isn't mainstream or what you like. I would bet there is more you enjoy than you recognize. Lots of my music is theatrical or can be heard in the background on a tv program. You like the music cause it fits the scene, I just know the name of the song… LOL

6. The 1940s for me. I love their sense of style and class.

• The 1940’s did have their sense of style, which I, personally liked. However, the 1960’s and 1970’s found America with new found freedoms which we have not seen since that time. As far as music is concerned, I like the 60’s music the best (in my humble opinion).

7. i would choose the 80’s just because i only spent 1 yr of life in the 80’s yet im obbsessed with the fashion and music!

8. I pick present time because we have Internet now. lol

9. I would like to live around when Jesus was alive so i could talk and walk with him.

10. Tough question, I think I might like to live back in time when horses were the main means of transportation. I would love to live on a farm :) Stay at home with the kids all day and bake and cook!

11. I would Love to be in the 60 – 70s and be a flower child :) so much change going on around that time, would have loved to be apart of it! Great music and people! My uncle was a hippie and still is ;)

12. Fee (Phyllis) Roberts says:

I would like to have lived in the 1930’s. Women were classy yet had a tinge of naughtiness about them =D

13. MADDIE K says:

I was born in 1960 so I guess I “grew up” in the 60’s and 70’s. I think that you have glamorized it more than it really was. While I supposed I lived through history (JFK being assasinated, The Watergate fiasco, the Vietnam war, it really doesn’t seem too much differernt from today.

I do a lot of Renaissance faires and though fun I would not want to go back to a time where medicine & dentistry were barbaric nor a time when women were nothing more than chattel to be married off , disposed of, and certainly not to be heard. Same for the victorian era.

I love living in the time we are in even with all it’s deficits and troubles I would not want to live in any other time then the present.

• That’s a very good way of looking at things and you’re right…the grass really is always greener, as they say. We really don’t have it all that bad. :)

14. Caitlan Meador says:

I would have to say the 50’s, it just seems like that was a great time with so much changing and so much life in the world :)

15. Wanda Bergman says:

I used to always wish I left in the old western era. No particular reason why, but it’s always intrigued me.

16. Nice answers in return of this difficulty with genuine arguments and explaining everything on the topic of that.

17. Because the admin of this website is working, no doubt very shortly
    it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

18. These are actually enormous ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some fastidious things here. Any way keep
    up wrinting.

19. Michelle Kafka says:

I would love to travel back to or live in the Victorian Era because of the Spiritualism.

Trackbacks

1. […] of the top 5 posts that all of you visited were originally written in 2011 (If You Could Choose Any Time Period to Live in What Would it Be? and Getting to Know You Friday: If I Could Learn Anything…).  This tells me that something […]