Welcome to the Getting to Know You Weekend Blog Hop. This week we are Getting to Know Melissa from Writings by Daughter of Maat!
A little about me, let’s see, I just recently became a freelance writer. I spent 16 years in ophthalmology and got a bit burned out. So, I left that career and became a stay-at-home-mom. We took a huge pay cut when I left my career, so in an effort to help with the household expenses I started writing, something I had always wanted to do, but never thought I could.
I began writing on Hubpages, which is where I invented my writing name Daughter of Maat. Unfortunately, I didn’t start making any money there until five months after I started, so I found other ways to make money writing online. That’s when I found blogging.
I had been on a weight loss journey for over a year and decided to start a blog about it, and things just kind of snowballed from there. I started a blog on veganism (I’m a hippy-I admit it) and a blog on homeschooling.
Once I found I really enjoyed this writing thing, I decided to make it official. I started my current and most active blog Writings by Daughter of Maat where samples of my work can be found among some of my random musings about life in general.
Some fun facts about me that most people don’t know:
- I’m a tree-hugger. The environment is extremely important to me!
- We live out in the middle of nowhere.
- I love crocheting, knitting, scrapbooking, and (of course) writing.
- I’m a huge video gamer.
- I met my husband (and soul mate) while playing video games on xbox live.
- He drove 2000 miles to be with me, and had yet to meet me in person.
- I have a six year old daughter who loves homeschooling.
- It’s not unusual for us to see black bears roaming in our front yard (just saw momma bear and her two baby bears in the front yard yesterday!).
- I have 6 cats and a dog, all of which are named after Egyptian or Norse Gods/Goddesses.
- I’m an organization addict! I have a home management binder that I cannot live without!
- I’m an EXTREME liberal.
Be sure to visit Melissa’s links and show her some love!